Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sunflower Seed Cheese

Serves 4

A thick, spreadable cheese that is a versatile as it is tasty.

1/2" cup lemon juice
1/2" cup Nama Soyu
4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 3/4" cups raw sunflower seeds, very finely ground in a food processor

In a high- speed blender [or food processor], combine all of the ingredients, adding the sunflower seeds last. Blend thoroughly until the resulting cheese is smooth and uniform.

We have enjoyed this several times from Mary Ann Keller and she adds the following concerning this recipe: "The first time I made this cheese I followed the recipe exactly as written and I thought it had too much Nama Shoyu... way too strong. So now each time I have made it since, I have changed it just slightly. I personally have found that if I put a little more lemon juice and a little less Nama Shoyu in it, I like it better. I do not put as much garlic in it as they call for either. And..... I did use 3 cups of sunflower seeds instead of 2 3/4 cups. I measure out my
seeds and then grind them. The best suggestion I can give is just to taste as you go along. And, one last thing... I made this cheese in my food processor and not my VitaMix. It took a little longer to get it smooth, using my FP, but I am sure it would have been difficult to get it out of the VitaMix container."


From Rawvolution by Matt Anderson

No comments: